Dead... and Back is a survival horror Role Playing Game. The Anarchy Zones is its official setting - aliens, reanimates, and the ruins of 2055 America.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Forevermore I-94


It doesn't matter how far you have to go out of the way, generally speaking - boneroads are to be avoided. They're just nasty places to be, with a haunted reputation. Almost as many people died on the highways leading out of the cities as within the downtown blocks. Multiple mile traffic jams across eight lanes with creatures freely roaming about and often not enough room to open the door to get out. Even now, there are still swarms of reanimates patrolling up and down these places. Anyone or thing not eaten by them has long since putrefied and rotted through the bottom of the rusting out cars.

Some even treat these places as if they're haunted. If your going to run into a former loved one who failed to escape, this would probably be the place.

Yet I find myself returning to it, the spur between Milwaukee and Chicago, the place where I left my '52 Ford. In all the round about ways you justify the extra expense of a convertible - escaping the undead isn't normally high on the list.

Exiting the car was the only easy part. It might be the trauma of the times, it might be true, but I swear back at the time of The Event, reanimates were a hell of a lot faster. And to escape them - crawling over sun and engine warmed cars, jumping between other motorists, then trying to keep up a dead run past the shoulder to who knows where - while dozens of reanimates chase after. I can thank my training for the Boston marathon for my escape - the ones who cheered me on... not so fortunate.


***
OK, I have to admit, that was the first week in two years there were no posts, and I will have to make that up to you. I'm considering a number of ways to do it, but i expect a five post week soon when I come upon a theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment